Forum

Roll Call Votes - rotating names
Last Post 08/30/2016 02:14 PM by Donna Cronce. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Cheryl Printz

--
08/30/2016 09:02 AM
    For RCVs do you start over alphabetically each meeting, with the mayor last, or do you maintain a list for the entire term?
    Kimberly Keesler

--
    08/30/2016 09:27 AM
    I start alphabetically and rotate all members for each roll call except for the President. He is always the last one to vote. For example, A,B,C,D,E,F,President; next roll call B,C,D,E,F,A, President, etc. etc.

Hope that helps!
    Lisa Hathaway

--
    08/30/2016 09:29 AM
    I've heard it done both ways. GPW rotates alphabetically including the Mayor.
    Cheryl Printz

--
    08/30/2016 09:33 AM
    Do you start over each meeting at the beginning of the alphabet or keep a running tally?
    Lisa Hathaway

--
    08/30/2016 09:41 AM
    . . . After checking Roberts Rules "The roll is called in alphabetical order except that of the presiding officer's name is called last, and only when his vote will affect the result . . . " Page 406 (15) of the 10th Edition. Thank you for asking the question Cheryl, looks like a procedure change is needed in GPW!
    Lisa Hathaway

--
    08/30/2016 10:31 AM
    Although I could not locate a reference to the rotation of the names for a running tally, I recall sitting in a class with Connie Deford for parliamentary training, she stated that the Secretary/Clerk does keep a "running tally" so that the names are rotated to ensure the same person is not voting last.

Hope this helps.
    Elizabeth (Beth) Grohman

--
    08/30/2016 10:47 AM
    I first call the person who made the motion, support and then the order they are seated.
    Michelle LaVoy

--
    08/30/2016 11:35 AM
    We rotate on a monthly basis so for example in January Precint 1 council member votes first followed in order by 2 through 6. The Mayor always votes last. In February Precint 2 council member votes first followed in order by 3 through 1 with the Mayor being last again.
    Donna Cronce

--
    08/30/2016 02:14 PM
    Yes Roberts Rules pages 405-407 refers to alphabetical order. However, you should review any Rules and Procedures of the Commission: if your board has adopted any. I clarified a similar question with Connie Deford at the June 2016 Conference in Lansing and she verified that if it is placed in your Commissions Rules and Procedures on how a roll call is processed than that is what you follow.

Hope this helps.
    Donna
    Donna Cronce, MMC, CMMC
    City of Lapeer
    cronced@ci.lapeer.mi.us
    You are not authorized to post a reply.