Forum

FOIA - policy regarding charges
Last Post 03/24/2017 10:56 AM by Vicci TerVeer. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jacqueline Beaudry

--
10/04/2016 01:53 PM
    Hello clerks:
    Our FOIA policy provides requestors with one "free hour" of time. We are looking at whether that is a reasonable amount or if others provide more/less. Can you let me know how much time you allow for FOIA work before a requestor is charged or if you charge at all?
    Thanks so much!
    Dendra Best

--
    10/04/2016 02:22 PM
    If most of what people are looking for is on your web site anyway - an hour is good. As under MI FOIA you are only allowed to charge at the lowest employee rate, unless it requires a substantial amount of digging, it will just account for more time to bill and track payment?
    If all your public documents are online and in a searchable format it's a couple of clicks to give requestors the links?
    Pamela (Pam) Smith

--
    10/04/2016 02:44 PM
    Farmington Hills charged strictly per the Act - so no free hour; although we don't get nit picky either. According to our Attorneys and the new Act, you are not allowed to charge for less than 15 minutes of time and that the time must be broken out for Search, retrieval and copying - so if you spend less than 15 minutes to search you can't charge for that portion, etc. That is based on the new fee itemization forms that are required. We end up not charging for near the amount of time it takes us to clarify what exactly someone is trying to have us search for!
    Max Engle
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10/05/2016 09:23 AM
    We do not charge anything that is under $1.00. Which is about 99% of our FOIA requests.
    Dendra Best

--
    12/06/2016 06:26 PM
    Do any of you routinely send FOIA requests to your attorney to review prior to complying? Also I think we've discussed this before but - if it's a resident/property owner asking for a public document listed in the Minutes, they should not be required to submit a FOIA to get a copy emailed correct?
    Vicci TerVeer

--
    03/24/2017 10:33 AM
    A lawyer has requested a DVD copy of 4 different interviews regarding a CSC case. We will have to burn a new CD for him. I'm curious on what type of fee should be charged for this? And...what if it doesn't all fit on one CD?
    Thank you!
    Vicci TerVeer

--
    03/24/2017 10:56 AM
    I have gotten the updated information I need. Please disregard this post.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.