Forum

RFP for new telephone system
Last Post 08/15/2017 02:59 PM by Deborah Luskin. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Stephen French

--
07/19/2017 02:44 PM
    Has anyone done an RFP or purchased a new telephone system for their city/township/village recently? If so, would you mind sharing your proposal and any comments good/bad about your new system?

Thanks!

Steve French, MMC
    City Clerk
    City of Hillsdale, MI
    517-437-6441
    Max Engle
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07/20/2017 10:39 AM
    I wold interested in that also, our system is very old.
    Justin Breyer

--
    07/20/2017 11:51 AM
    So I made the mistake yesterday of hitting reply with this answer:

We went out for an RFP for a new phone system in 2015. The major challenge that we faced is that there is a wide variety of options in how phone service can be provided, and we do not have any in-house IT staff. So, we ended-up trying to evaluate service options against one another while also trying to evaluate cost. And there are a ton of phone service companies in Michigan...and they will all submit proposals. Do you want a hard-wired system or a system that is provided over the internet (VOIP)? Do you want to have the controller box in-house or hosted by the service provider? Do you want to own the handsets or rent the handsets? What type of features do you want? How tech-savvy is the staff that will be using the new phones?

If you are not super familiar with phone systems or you do not already have a set system in mind, my recommendation is to figure out the specifics of what you want out of the system before going out to bid. My recommendation is: 1) make a list of the features that you want, 2) meet with an neutral IT professional to review the options that will meet your needs, 3) put out a bid for the specific system type. That way you only have to evaluate the companies based on the usual stuff (cost, references, etc.).

We ended-up going with a hosted VOIP system from Comcast for our office, DPW, and WWTP. Pros: it was the cheapest option on a 3-year time horizon; fewer wires; it has a lot of nice features (four digit extensions, transferring, online management tool). Cons: it is hosted over our internet, which can slow down our internet; if the power/internet go out, our phones go out; not all of the staff is tech-savvy, so they have a hard time using all of the nice features.

If you would like a copy of the City of Dexter's RFP, please send me an e-mail directly at jbreyer@dextermi.gov. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Justin Breyer
    Assistant to the City Manager / City Clerk
    City of Dexter
    8140 Main St.
    Dexter, MI 48130
    Office: (734)426-8303
    Direct: (734) 580-2234
    Deborah Luskin

--
    08/15/2017 02:59 PM
    This is a test response, please disregard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.