Forum

Required amount of Signatures for Recall
Last Post 08/09/2017 11:59 AM by Max Engle. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Cynthia Greenia
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08/09/2017 09:33 AM
    Good Morning All,
    I hope that everyone that conducted an election yesterday was successful and enjoyed using our new equipment!!!

Two of my city council members have had recall petitions filed against them and the county clerk officially called the election. I have residents asking for packets and I have to be able to let them know the correct amount of signatures they need on their petitions.

I need to get an answer regarding the required number of signatures on a petition to run in a recall election against the incumbents. Our charter requires not less than 25 and not more than 40 for anyone running for City Council. There is language on the flow chart from the SOS site that states:
    "Candidates file a nonpartisan nominating petition containing at least 10% of the required number of signatures for the electoral district" Can anyone help me regarding what number of signatures I am to tell them they need? Is it the 25 to 40 like normal or 2 to 4?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks, C
    Dan Kasunic

--
    08/09/2017 09:51 AM
    remember no one can be recalled the first six months and last six months of their term. however, when they are allowed to be recalled then under election law 168.955: the petitions shall be signed by equal to not less than 25% of the number of votes cast for candidates for the office of governor at the last preceding general election in the electoral district of the officer to be recalled.
    Max Engle
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08/09/2017 11:59 AM
    No one can run against them in a recall election. There will have to be another election for the offices if the recall is successful, or appointments by the Board Members left or by City Charter rules. In the new election for officers it would be the number in the City Charter.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.