Forum

Local units no longer able to regulate taxicabs
Last Post 11/13/2017 03:52 PM by Benjamin Marentette. 0 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Benjamin Marentette

--
11/13/2017 03:52 PM
    Hello you fine folks!

For those of you that may still have regulations governing taxicabs, uber-type operations, etc., I wanted to share this with you from our City Attorney. I understand local units of government can no longer regulate taxicabs (or transportation network companies, which are ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft). Here's an excerpt of a note from our City Attorney.

Uber and Lyft are now regulated under Public Act 345 of 2016 (effective March 21, 2017), which sets statewide standards regulating taxicab, limousine and ride-sharing services. This applies to such companies as Uber and Lyft (they are defined as "transportation network companies" under PA 345). This Act standardizes the regulations for limousines, taxicabs and transportation network companies and usurps the ability of local governments to create ordinances or fees governing all three types of transportation companies, putting that power in the state’s hands. Under the Act, Uber and Lyft will pay the same fees and follow the same rules as taxicab and limousine companies. Prior to PA 345, each municipality had the ability to regulate the industry at the local level.

Sec. 15. of the Act provides (1) A local unit of government shall not impose a tax or fee upon or require a license for a limousine carrier, taxicab carrier, or transportation network company, a limousine driver, taxicab driver, or transportation network company driver, or a limousine, taxicab, or personal vehicle, if the tax, fee, or license is related to the provision of limousine or taxicab service or transportation network company prearranged rides. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a local unit of government shall not enact or enforce an ordinance regulating a limousine carrier, taxicab carrier, limousine driver, taxicab driver, or transportation network company.

Local units can still issue tickets for civil infractions and traffic violations of course. I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.