Forum

Asterisk in City Charter
Last Post 10/19/2017 08:59 AM by Gladys Bybee. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
M. Aileen Dickson

--
02/20/2015 10:19 AM
    Our City Charter specifies the filing deadline for city offices to be 100 days prior to the general election. Since the change in Election Law that took effect on January 1, 2014 which changed the filing deadline to 15 Tuesdays prior to the election date, how are you addressing that in your city's Charter?

We are looking at placing an asterisk in that section of our Charter, but I would like to see how others are addressing the conflict.

Thanks!!

Aileen Dickson
    City of Troy

Suzanne Dobson

--
    10/11/2017 03:08 PM
    I know this is an old email, but looking to see if you have a resolution for changing the date of the City Charter nominating petition deadline.?

Dianne Massa

--
    10/12/2017 07:43 AM
    I am taking this to Council on Monday. I have a resolution I can share. Will try to attach. If it doesn't work email me at dmassa@ci.northville.mi.us and I will send it to you.

Charter_annotation.doc

Brian Kelley

--
    10/18/2017 05:17 PM
    How did this go for you on Monday? Do you need a Public Hearing to change the Charter like this, or because it's a State Law change, the Charter can be modified by Resolution like this? #NewClerk

Dianne Massa

--
    10/19/2017 08:29 AM
    I pulled the item because the City Attorney had not responded with his review. He has since then, and this will go to Council in November. The City Attorney said the resolution to annotate the charter is appropriate as the section of the Charter is superseded by state law.

For our city election, the charter states the filing deadline is October 1 (we do not have a primary). The annotation advises the reader that state law supersedes this section.

We are not doing a charter amendment - but may do so in the future.

Dianne Massa

--
    10/19/2017 08:29 AM
    I pulled the item because the City Attorney had not responded with his review. He has since then, and this will go to Council in November. The City Attorney said the resolution to annotate the charter is appropriate as the section of the Charter is superseded by state law.

For our city election, the charter states the filing deadline is October 1 (we do not have a primary). The annotation advises the reader that state law supersedes this section.

We are not doing a charter amendment - but may do so in the future.

Gladys Bybee

--
    10/19/2017 08:59 AM
    Thanks Dianne. I too am working on that. I have found two other sections in our Charter that needs annotating. Including calling special elections because per the State we only have the certain dates to have them.

You are not authorized to post a reply.